How do You handle adversity?
Job 1:21, "In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly."
I'm not sure anyone, other than our Saviour, ever experienced the amount of suffering and adversity that Job experienced in such a short period of time. He lost all his children and his substance, yet his testimony was "In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly." Let's simply look at three elements of truth stated in this verse:
1. "In all this..." Can you imagine the feelings, the emotions, that was wrapped up IN ALL THIS. The untimely death of all your children, and the loss of all your possessions, and eventually being smitten from head to toe with boils.
2. "Job sinned not..." He never missed the mark of what God placed as the standard for him in this circumstance. God is to be glorified in every circumstance of life. We can never justify sinning, no matter what we experience and no matter how extreme the circumstances.
3. "nor charged God foolishly." God never makes a mistake. Satan wants us to question God's love, God's wisdom, and His purposes. Do you murmur or complain? If you do, we are charging God foolishly through our complaining. Our actions state if we believe God or not. Romans 8:28, reminds us, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."
Adversity reveals our character. Adversity will come, how will you handle it? May we follow the examples of Jesus and of Job, "In all this Job sinned not..."
QUESTIONS TO PONDER
1. What does it take for you to react wrongfully?
2. Do you seem to be a person given to emotions? How would you respond if you experienced the trials of Job?
3. Have you ever charged God foolishly? What were the circumstances and what did you do?