This morning we are going to study verse's 12-19 which address the matter of gossip and discord.
Gossip is destructive because it leads to hurt feelings and discord among people. Notice verses 12-15, "A naughty person, a wicked man, walketh with a froward mouth. 13 He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers; 14 Frowardness is in his heart, he deviseth mischief continually; he soweth discord. 15 Therefore shall his calamity come suddenly; suddenly shall he be broken without remedy." The word translated "naughty" in verse twelve is Belial and has the sense of worthless or being good for nothing. The word translated "froward" has the idea of being perverse. So Solomon is describing someone who runs at the mouth, whose mouth is filled with perversion. It is also accompanied by ample body language (vs. 13). This proud person stirs up trouble and sows discord by means of using his mouth (vs. 14). What is the ultimate result of this type of sin? "Therefore shall his calamity come suddenly; suddenly shall he be broken without remedy." (vs. 15) Sudden and horrific consequences come to the life of such a person.
Verses 16-19 record how God responds to fools who stir up trouble among others. The list of sins given in verses 17-19, is a list I refer to as "God's Catalog of Sin." "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him." Everything on the list, God hates, but the seventh is particularly abominable to Him. Also, it is important to remember, the passage doesn't say that God hates sinners who do such, but He does hate their sin. Notice the list of these sins in verses 17-19, "A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, 19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren." The first six characteristics are common in the world and are committed as foolish individuals make known their disrespect for God. Notice the list:
- (1) God hates pride and its outward look - vs. 17(a) Everyone is impacted by pride to some degree, but there are those who wear pride as part of their demeanor, this is repulsive to God.
- (2) God hates a dishonest tongue - vs. 17(b) Lying is one of the two defining characteristics of Satan, with pride being the other. Interesting that they are both mentioned in verse 17.
- (3) God hates hands that shed innocent blood - vs. 17(c). One of the great illustrations of this sin in our society is that of abortion. No person is as innocent and defenseless as an unborn child.
- (4) God hates a heart that devises evil schemes - vs. 18(a) Premeditating to do evil, is something that even the world understands as being particularly hideous.
- (5) God hates the feet of those who are swift in running to evil - vs. 18(b) Mischief and evil for all intents and purposes are the same.
- (6) God hates those who give perjured testimony - vs. 19(a) Those who have sworn to tell the truth in a court of justice and then lie for the record is something which God hates.
- (7) Finally, what is particularly abominable to God is someone causing discord among the brethren - vs. 19(b)
Many of these sins seem to merge together. One guilty of any of the above tends to drift into all of the above. The danger is that any of these sins could eventually cause division among God's people, which is especially repugnant to God.
Make sure to avoid gossip, discord, and sin; God will be well pleased with your determination to stay away from such things.
Meditating upon the Word of God is the only way to get it into the depths of your soul. Good day!
Your Friend and His,