THE BLESSING OF SINS FORGIVEN
Psalm 32:1-2, "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile."
Many in our world live without the blessing of knowing their sins are forgiven. In today's passage David speaks of the happiness and the bliss God brings into the life of one who has knowledge of his sins being forgiven.
Four descriptive terms are used to speak of man's sin and wayward living. They are:
- Transgression - overstepping a boundary established by God.
- Sin - this is missing the mark concerning the keeping of God's commandments.
- Iniquity - this is the sin of self will, as man perverts and distorts the things of God.
- Guile - man's inherent ability to deceive, trick, defraud, etc.
Three things are mentioned as necessary in overcoming our sin problem:
- Forgiveness - God choosing to erase the debt you owe because you have sinned against Him.
- Covering - is something being concealed or hidden. Covered in such a manner as it will not appear.
- Removing Imputation of iniquity - imputation is an accounting term which speaks of charging to ones account.
The Apostle Paul in Romans four is making his case for justification by faith. He refers to our Psalm 32 passage, as he speaks of the reward offered to man based upon God's grace, he (you, me or any other) that "...believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin."
Are your transgressions forgiven, are your sins covered, has the imputation of your iniquity been wiped away? Clarke's Commentary on the Bible states: "In vain does any man look for or expect happiness while the power of sin remains, its guilt unpardoned, and its impurity not purged away. To the person who has got such blessings..." HAPPINESS is the rule of his life.
I'm happy today, because my sins are washed away!
Pastor Mike Abbott